RE: Mileage Reimbursement - CORRECTION

Yikes - sorry all. You are NOT legally required to pay mileage! My old hands don't type as well as they used to.

Liz Pearson
Pearson & Bernard PSC
178 Barnwood Dr.
Edgewood, Ky 41017
859-655-3700 (w) 859-655-3703 (f)

Comments

• edited May 2017
    I realize we don't HAVE TO pay mileage, but at our OCHCH Fall Conference a
    speaker stated that since the employee was essentially on the clock at "8:00
    A.M." calling patients, reviewing her schedule, charting, etc. that we would
    have to pay mileage for the employee to drive from home to their firt visits
    and in reverse if they ended at home and made calls, charted, etc.

Yikes is right!

Nancy

• edited May 2017
    Nancy

The YIKES was because I did not include the NOT in my first note.

I go back to what I said in my first note though - mileage is actually a benefit and only becomes tied to wages if the employee's wages are close to minimum wage & the out of pocket cost of driving implicated the minimum wage amount. Otherwise, your "mileage reimbursement" policy is what you want it to be.

Could it be you/or the speaker confused "mileage" and "travel time?" If you are paying per visit - travel time is generally included in the visit rate. You should have a job description or some other document that states that travel and anything associated with the visit (documentation) is included in the visit rate that the employee signs. In addition calls to Drs, patients, etc should all be wrapped up in the visit rate - so I am uncertain why the speaker said that - UNLESS the employee is paid hourly. If the employee is hourly paid and does indeed start her work from home - then I tend to agree that you would need to pay for the travel time to the first visit, but not necessarily mileage.

Feel free to call me if this doesn't explain it. It is a somewhat quirky & therefore confusing part of the wage & hour laws.

Liz Pearson
    Pearson & Bernard PSC
    178 Barnwood Dr.
    Edgewood, Ky 41017
    859-655-3700 (w) 859-655-3703 (f)